A bad break

See the source image

What I look like now! Well, it goes up to my forearm, so half of the picture!

Ever since I woke up this morning, I was looking forward to go to work and then come home and take a bike ride. Work was crazy. Some people were rude today, but that doesn’t matter to me. I’m used to customer complaints. After I got home, I decided to take bike ride. So I got out my jalopy and started biking. Remind you, it’s been 10 years since I’ve ridden by my bike.

The first few laps around the block were great. I was moving my legs and getting some exercise in. Then on my last lap, tragedy struck. I hit the curb and crash landed on the concrete. My hand literally broke the fall. Honestly, I could’ve been killed. I could’ve of broken my legs or seriously injured myself. But I saved it. My hand hit the ground and fractured. Honestly, I thought it was just a sprain. It hurt like a sprain. When I crashed landed, my neighbor asked if I was ok. I said yes. My hand started swelling and bruising very nicely.

I had my father drive me to urgent care because I can’t drive. So off we went to urgent care for a xray. It turns out that my 5th metacarpal bone in my hand was fractured. Oh damn. Six weeks in a cast. Just great. Since I work for Starbucks, I’m on limited duty. I get paid to delegate and rest my arm. Many co-workers were shocked that this happened to me. But it isn’t the first time that I broke a bone before. When I was eight, I destroyed my left ulnar bone when I fell off a swing. That required hospitalization and surgery.

So for the next six weeks, I have to do everything left handed. Everything! Oh man. Hopefully, it will be healed before my birthday. Mine is November 22nd and it’s also Thanksgiving.

When I got home, both of my Chihuahuas were confused. They looked at my hand and started to whimper a little. Unfortunately, I can’t bathe them or take care of them by myself. But that’s what family is for. I was so disappointed in myself and kept telling myself that it was just an accident. It happens. Get over it.

I will have to take it easy for a while and I can’t exercise until I feel better. When I was in urgent care, my heart and blood pressure were normal. Surprising, right? While the nurse bandaged me up, I got a very bad anxiety attack. I started sweating, heart started racing and almost passed out. That will happen on a day like this. The nurse thought I was going into shock, but no.

So in short, today was a lovely day. Oh well, better to be alive than dead, right? I think so.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s